Sheffield Home of Football Limited was constituted in June 2019.
To celebrate the city’s proud heritage the ‘Sheffield Home of Football’ project has already successfully organised the following events:
- 2018. Created a Football Heritage walking app -with 1200+ downloads
- 2018. Held a Football Treasures Day at Sheffield Central Library attended by 2,000 people; opened by the BBC’s Dan Walker and curated by historian Martin Westby
- 2018. Installed a commemorative plaque at the grave of Sheffield FC’s founder – Nathaniel Creswick
- 2019. Organised a Centenary celebration of John Shaw’s life at Hallam FC’s Sandygate ground
- 2019. Presented Sheffield’s heritage credentials at the Annual International Football History Conference in Manchester.
In 2013 we ran our football festival and here is the Heritage Lottery Fund’s video of the football festival which shows the Sheffield’s historical importance to the modern game of football.
The project involved school pupils investigating a number of archives under the guidance of teachers and football historians. It involved many hard to reach pupils and communities, as well as use an array of resources on Sheffield’s doorstep, including football clubs, libraries and local associations.
The secondary school students identified material to produce an historical record in the form of a football programme and recreated a traditional game of football using the Sheffield Rules from 1857.